Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where's the Missing Sleeve?

Have I mentioned how much I HATE dresses with just one sleeve? I have recently seen this look all over the red carpet. Note to movie stars: Please either go sleeveless or with double sleeves to this Sunday's Academy Award Show.

I peruse the internet to find these horrid one-sleeved garbs. Here is beautiful Katherine Heigl wearing Naeem Khan. Let me add that Naeem Khan designs beautiful gowns. I just don't understand this one look. This is last August 2009, and I was sure this style would disappear by the year's end.


When I was a teenager, we had a hairstyle that my mother couldn't stand. We ratted the top of our hair and twisted it with hair pins, but we left the back of the hair down. (Picture Snooki from Jersey Shore, except that we put the height toward the crown of our heads and not near our foreheads.) My mother told me that my hair looked like two different hairstyles and that I should either have the bottom swooped up, into the twist, or my whole head of hair should be worn down.

Why do I mention a hairdo here? Because my mother had a good sense of style, and she just couldn't wrap her brain around the way I wore my hair, just like I cannot wrap my brain around the missing sleeve. What happened to it? Here's Kim Kardashian from Glamour.com October 2009.


Kim is a style icon, so I guess young women would jump off a bridge, if Kim decided to jumped first. Maybe Kim can swim better with just one sleeve.

I found three dresses on the same page, all with Kim, all with missing sleeves. (There should be six sleeves all together, but there are only three.) This dress is hideous:


For a second, I thought Kim was wearing a black pashmina on one shoulder only, but nope; it's a sleeve.

In all fairness, here's a rather lovely dress, and I must admit, as sleeveless, long sleeved dresses go, this one isn't so bad:


For some reason, some length balances the dress, and the missing sleeve isn't so pathetic. These dresses of Kim's are not the worst ones I've seen. But these next dresses are bad news, even though they are worn by fashionistas: Cate Blanchette, Heidi Klum and Eva Mendes in 2008. At that time, I was sure the look would go away, but I have a feeling this look is ready to trickle down to Macy's and J.C. Penney.

Notice that two of these dresses are missing the left sleeve, while the other is missing the right. Does one version mean you're gay and the other straight?


These are far worse because there's a whole arm hole on the side with the missing sleeve. I wonder who showed these dresses first on the catwalk. I'll bet the designer ran out of fabric, and the look accidentally caught on.

No comments:

Post a Comment