Monday, March 29, 2010

Real Housewives of New York City a/o March 25, 2010

Before I begin today's blog, I feel the need to explain something. Kelli, when you buy fur, you are creating a demand for it. This demand for fur causes greedy furriers to skin animals for their fur. Kelli, animals cannot live without their skin and their fur. This is why PETA and other animal lovers consider it cruel to animals to wear fur. If everyone were to boycott fur, nobody could sell it, and there'd be no reason to hurt these furry critters. Not only should you quit wearing fur, but you should boycott anyone who sells fur.

*****
Once and for all, I embrace the Real Housewives of New York City, and my further comments will be without any tone of apology. These ladies are not necessarily heroic. But they are characters that are dropped into a setting that I love: New York City. I will blog about each show I find interesting. Here are my observations about each woman since Thursday's show. These are in no particular order:

I admire Alex. Much goes on behind her quiet face. Unlike the others, she finds no need to verbalize everything. She is the truest friend, trying hard to stay in the middle of the current configuration of two sides that is in heated battle.

Did Alex see her son Francois jabbing Jason's gourmet hamburger in season one? My only criticism of Alex is that she let her children run wild without boundaries or manners that I could see. They impeded the freedom of the adults around them, and I found the situation with the kids at Jill's dinner intolerable.

The burger debacle occurred a long time ago; I'd rather focus on the decency that I observe in Alex. She is less likely to gossip than the other wives. She has a solid relationship with her husband Simon, and she has depth and sincerity about her in this background of wealth and opulence.

The other wife who hasn't picked a side in Jill v. Bethenny is Ramona. I have grown to like her. Ramona's new haircut took five years or so off her appearance. The jewelry that she sells on HSN is beautiful, and it was within good taste for her to show the jewelry to her friends when they were partying on the yacht. She wasn't hawking it; she was sharing her success with her gal pals.

Ramona is a bit of a nut, perhaps manic, certainly moody. She is admittedly uncensored, and she gets herself into trouble. I find Ramona to be self-centered,
but not necessarily self-serving. She knows how to get things done by focusing on herself, but she can put those whom she loves first.

In Jill v. Bethenny, the sides are lined up as follows: Jill, LuAnn and Kelli against Bethenny. This configuration makes Bethenny look like an underdog, but, in a way, she brought this on herself by losing touch with Jill and LuAnn when they were going through awful experiences.

Last summer. Jill's husband Bobby went through treatment for cancer of the thyroid. During this time, LuAnn was going through a divorce. The Count was having an affair, and he announced his intentions for divorce by sending LuAnn an email. While LuAnn was adapting to life as a single mother--albeit a single mother in the Hamptons--Bethenny was realizing all her dreams. She'd met a wonderful man, and she was promoting her successful book, Naturally Thin.

How much did Bethenny value her friendships with Jill and LuAnn? Evidently, not all that much. Sending flowers to Bobby when he was fighting cancer was a gesture appropriate for an acquaintance. Not a close friend. How concerned was Bethenny about LuAnn, who'd been disparaged by the Count who'd had no regard for their public life?

I've had my fill of women of all ages who drop their friends when a guy shows up. Who will be there after a divorce or when a relationship ends? The girlfriends. I hope that Bethenny's relationship with Jason no. 2 is solid. He seems like a great guy. But, Bethenny, please remember who had your back when you were alone.

Jill was one of my favorite housewives until this season, and now I see her completely different. I once saw her as someone with a great mom, a doting husband, and many good friends. Now I can't help but see a specific dynamic going on in her life.

Why would a woman in Jill's position insist that all her friends join her in despising Bethenny? I now see how Jill attracts followers. She very tricky. One minute she says she doesn't want to discuss Bethenny, but within an hour, she has turned another person against her. What's more, she won't tolerate anyone who sides with Bethenny.

What bothers me more is Jill's tendency to sit in waiting until she points out a friend's mistake. Walking to the yacht with LuAnn in episode one, Jill criticizes Ramona for not providing food for her guests--just in case there's no food when they get to the yacht. Later, when Ramona shows her beautiful jewelry to guests, Jill tells another woman how tacky Ramona is for hocking her jewelry; Jill says if she had a jewelry line, she would gladly let every guest choose a piece of jewelry as a gift.

Jill enjoys her social position. She has enough clout for Saks Fifth Avenue to close its doors to the public while they serve her friends with catered food and drink. Evidently, her privileged status doesn't make Jill happy, or she'd have no need to find fault with those around her. I agree with Bethenny: If Jill had a hobby, maybe she'd be too busy to find fault with her friends.

I'd completely written off Kelli last season. She has no logic or sense when it comes to arguing, and she's no match for Bethenny. I doubt she had many fans last season, but I I think the show brought Kelli to the attention of Playboy. Kelli has awesome legs, great hair and a beautiful smile, but her skin always looks burnt, and her boobs are off kilter; at least they were last year.

But I like Kelli this season. She is magnanimous, trying to make peace with Bethenny. It takes a big person to put trouble where it belongs; it belongs in the past. Jill and Bethenny could learn something from Kelli; it's about time they quit acting like high school girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment