Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jill v. Bethenny and Other Nastiness

The Real Housewives of New York City returned from hiatus to begin its third season. I find myself talking as if I know these women personally. But since a reality show is supposed to accurately represent the true lives of its cast members, I only draw conclusions from what I see.

Surprise. The lives of these women changed drastically over vacation, and I fear that my favorite "housewives" no longer measure up. Here is a list of the cast members, from favorite to least favorite, as of last season:

1. Bethenny
2. Jill
3. LuAnn
4. Ramona
5. Alex
6. Kelly

Now....Here is my list, from favorite to least favorite, as of last Thursday's show:

1. Alex
2. Ramona
3. LuAnn
4. Kelly
5. Bethenny
6. Jill


Jill and Bethenny are both charming and vibrant; I used to enjoy the way they related to each other. Both stubborn, they'd back down when push comes to shove, in order to honor their relationship. They always seemed to have each other's back--and I adored Jill's mother.

I'm so disappointed in the turn of events.

Season three on the show begins after summer 2009; Jill's husband Bobby has gone through cancer treatments; I didn't see that coming.

Hurray for Bethenny who fell in love with a good guy. But where was her support of Jill through such a difficult summer? Were these two ladies just friends for the show last year? Is Bethenny like so many women who drop their girlfriends the minute a man enters the picture?

What I find both funny and troubling is that whenever one of the housewives has a problem with another cast member, she tries to recruit all the other housewives to be on her side. Jill is particularly effective doing this, and that's why I demoted her to the bottom of my list.

Is this junior high school? Has it made Jill happy to turn everybody against Bethenny? Will she be happy if she ruins the whole show by dividing the cast into camps?

I was very put off to see Jill on her way to the yacht, already criticizing Ramona just in case she did not serve food on the yacht because "one should always serve food on a yacht." She told Ramona how nice she looked, and while walking away she mentioned that Ramona should wear a one-piece suit, instead of a bikini. When Ramona put her HSN jewelry out on a table on the yacht to show her friends, Jill criticized her--behind her back--for hocking her product on the yacht. She thought Ramona should let each of her guests select a gift from the collection.

I've seen Ramona's jewelry collection on HSN, and it is both beautiful and pricey. I would hope that all of Ramona's friends would show support by at least looking at what she created. What is it about Jill that couldn't let her praise both Ramona and her product? I wonder if Jill's falling out with Bethenny has made her bitter. She was sure a sour bugger

Ramona dances to her own drummer. I find her odd, but endearing. She does look great for her age, but a one-piece bathing suit would look better. Arguing with LuAnn on the yacht was avoidable. She could have shrugged off the problem by saying," I'm sorry your feelings got hurt; I'll mention this to Mario."

What's wrong with Countess LuAnn? She's adjusting to life after the divorce, and that ain't easy. Mario's comment that LuAnn was now "Countless" was hilarious! How much of an apology does LuAnn need from Mario for his clever comment--when most of the housewives make "clever" remarks about each other all the time?

I actually enjoy the little zingers thrown around by Bethenny, Jill and LuAnn. They are each astute and quick-witted, and their comments amuse me. But any of these women will sacrifice their "friends" in order to demonstrate their wit in front of the camera.

What can I say about Kelly? She's used to rubbing shoulders with rich and famous people, and unless you run in her circles, she does not consider you as friend material. The feud between Bethenny and Kelly last season annoyed me. My impression that Kelly was rude and pretentious was substantiated when she was hours late for her own Halloween party. She truly is full of herself; if she'd apologized to Bethenny for ignoring her after they'd met several times, perhaps they could have become friends. I was hoping she'd get voted off last year. But something is different about her this season, and I am pleasantly surprised. No longer the new girl, she seems more comfortable sharing her real self.

Last, but certainly not least, I love Alex the most. She simply needs more air time. My only criticism is that her little children need to learn both boundaries and good manners. They are out of control.

But I like her relationship with her husband, and I appreciate her efforts to avoid the gossip. She does not get sucked into the group drama, and she will not be forced to choose sides. Alex is a true individual and someone who can be trusted.

That is my take on my six close girlfriends who live in New York City.

Supposedly, audiences love drama that includes cruelty, gossip, and back-stabbing. I honestly don't. I love watching New York as a back drop; I enjoy seeing relationships between the women, and I marvel at their successful careers. I will update my cast members list at the close of the season, if I can hang with the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment